‘We were winning…’ South Korea women’s soccer misses out on final qualification after 1-1 draw with China in Paris

South Korea’s women’s soccer team failed to qualify for its first ever Olympic Games.

The disappointment was compounded by the fact that they missed out on a win.
The South Korean women’s national soccer team, led by head coach Colleen Bell, drew 1-1 with China in the final Group B match of the Asian Women’s Football Confederation’s second qualifying round for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games at the Xiamen Eaglet Stadium in Fujian, China, on Monday (June 1).

South Korea took the lead in the 17th minute of the second half and appeared to be on the verge of qualifying for the final round, but a late push from their opponents resulted in a late equalizer from Through.
As a result, South Korea failed to qualify for the final round of the tournament despite an unbeaten record of one win, two draws, and five points.

North Korea topped the group.

North Korea had two wins and one draw (7 points).

South Korea needed a win against China to finish first in the group, but they didn’t get it.

China finished third in the group with one win, one draw, and one loss (4 points).
A total of 12 nations will compete in the second round of the Olympic Asian Qualifiers, divided into three groups, with only four teams qualifying for the final round.

The three top teams from each group and one team with the best second-place finish will advance to the final qualifier.

It doesn’t end there. The two winners of the quarterfinal matchups will punch their tickets to Paris.

In addition to missing out on first place, South Korea also missed out on a spot in the final round of qualification, falling behind Group C runner-up Uzbekistan (2-1-6).
China is a formidable opponent. South Korea (20th) is ranked behind China (15th) in the FIFA rankings.

The head-to-head record is also overwhelming, with 5 wins, 7 draws, and 28 losses.

The last time South Korea beat China was in the 2015 East Asian Cup, a 1-0 victory.

Since then, South Korea has struggled with three draws and six losses in nine matches.

This time around, they failed to defeat their “nemesis” China. 카지노사이트가이드
Earlier in the day, South Korea beat Thailand 10-1 in the first round. Casey Eugene Fair (Independent) and Chun Garam (Hwacheon KSPO) each scored a hat trick.

In the second game against North Korea, they played to a 0-0 draw behind solid defense.

Veteran goalkeeper Kim Jung-mi (Incheon Hyundai Steel), the ’39-year-old eldest sister’, made a super-save.
On the day, Bell brought out a 3-4-1-2 formation. Chun Garam and Casey Eugene started up top, with “veteran” Ji So-yeon (Suwon FC) supporting the attack from the second line.

Jang Seul-ki (Incheon Hyundai Steel) and Jeon Eun-ha (Suwon FC) occupied the midfield.

The fullbacks were Chu Hyo-joo (Suwon FC) and Lee Eun-young (Korea University).

The three backs were Shim Seo-yeon (Suwon FC), Lee Young-joo (Madrid CFF), and “Captain” Kim Hye-ri (Incheon Hyundai Steel).

Kim Jung-mi was in goal.
South Korea surrendered an early lead.

China came out strong in the early stages, cheered on by their passionate home fans.

There was some bad news for Korea.

In the eighth minute of the first half, goalkeeper Kim Jung-mi tried to stop an opponent’s attack and was hit in the face by a Chinese player’s knee.

Kim was unable to get up for a while as she cried out in pain.

South Korea’s backup goalkeeper Kim Kyung-hee, who was on the bench, warmed up to make a substitution.

Luckily, Kim was not seriously injured and remained on the field to direct the defense.
There was a goal scare in the 21st minute.

On a Chinese set piece, opposing forward Uri Gumullah rattled the Korean goal.

The Chinese players performed a goal celebration, but the referee called offside.

The Chinese players were in front of the Korean defense when the ball was passed to Uri Gumula. China’s goal was disallowed.

Korea also avoided a goal.

In the 24th minute, Lee Young-joo made a two-handed sliding tackle to stop a Chinese attack.
South Korea wasn’t done defending.

In the 25th minute, Casey Fair had a chance on a counterattack, but the opposing goalkeeper got out in front and cleared the ball away.

The last chance of the first half was the most disappointing.

South Korea attempted a counterattack into the Chinese backline.

On the right flank, Casey Fair drew three defenders before passing to the center.

Ji So-yeon caught the ball.

However, her shot hit the post. She was very disappointed.
Unlike the first half, South Korea came out aggressively in the second half.

They needed a win to advance to the final round.

They went on the offensive in search of a goal.

At the beginning of the second half, Chun Garam’s active movements stood out.

He took bold shots even with the opposing defense in front of him. In the sixth minute of the second half, Chun tried again, but her shot went just wide of the goal.

In the 13th minute of the second half, Casey Eugene’s header was headed straight at the keeper.
South Korea took the lead. In the 17th minute, Shim Seo-yeon scored a header off a set piece.

The shot was a little underpowered, but it went into the far side of the goal.

Chinese goalkeeper Xu Juan was caught in the act and was helpless.

Facing defeat, China fought back.

In the 19th minute of the second half, Wu Chengxu had a crucial chance in front of the Korean goal.

However, her shot went wide and Kim Jung-mi made a quick save. It was a heartbreaking moment for South Korea.
However, Korea was unable to stop China’s set pieces.

In the 32nd minute, Wang Shanshan scored a header from a free kick. Goalkeeper Kim Jung-mi came out to deal with the aerial ball, but Wang Shanshan got a header on it.

South Korea pushed for an insurance goal until the end.

However, the goal they were waiting for didn’t come. In the end, the game ended 1-1.

Leave A Comment

Recommended Posts